20 Healthy Living Tips
Holistic Wellness Guide
- Avoid microwaved food, non-stick cookware and aluminum cookware (used in most restaurants as well as homes).
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water everyday. Drink between meals, and finish your fluids 2 hours before bed. Use a reverse-osmosis water filter, a Big Berkey water filter, or buy Spring water.
- Check food labels for the word “hydrogenated” and eliminate all hydrogenated oils. Dressings, mayo, “butter spreads”, baked goods, cereals, pre-prepared, fried foods, and most restaurant foods usually have these.
- Use coconut oil, ghee (clarified butter) or leftover fat from pasture-raised meats for sautéing. Avoid heating olive oil and other oils – use them to flavor food after cooking. Choose oils high in monounsaturates and low in polyunsaturates. Avoid corn, canola and soy oils.
- Grate or puree squash, cauliflower, broccoli and other veggies to make them taste differently, freeze better, and get more nutrition per bite.
- Buy and eat Pasture-Raised eggs – the highest quality eggs you can find.
- Replace starchy foods such as bread, rice, cereal, pasta, beans and chips with vegetables. Avoid juice and excess fruit. Combine fruit snacks with some fat and protein such as organic cheese or almond butter.
- Have a solid breakfast with plenty of protein and fat. Eat meals and snacks at regular times every day.
- Avoid pesticides in your food, your home and your yard.
- Eat wild salmon frequently (canned is OK). Take premium quality Omega 3 oils – Beverly recommends Rosita Cod Liver Oil. It’s got a light fresh taste and a complement of vitamins in natural form.
- Eliminate Iodized salt and regular Sea Salt. Look for Sun-Dried or Solar salt such as Himalayan Salt, or our Pink Salt.
- Remember that sodas, granola bars, muffins, rice and soy milk, desserts and potatoes are extremely high in starch and sugars (and therefore carbohydrate calories). Artificial sweeteners are no good either…
- Never eat soy unless it is fermented as Miso, Tempeh or true Tamari Soy Sauce (Gluten-Free). Avoid all Gluten, and try going Grain-Free as well.
- Walk at least 3 times a week for 20 to 30 minutes. Keep your heart rate to 55% – 75% of your maximum heart rate (determined by your age).
- Avoid electromagnetic field toxicity. Remove electric clocks from your bedside table (use battery operated instead). Don’t sleep or work near a fuse box or other electrical appliances. Don’t put anything electrical on or near your head. Use cell phone protectors to diminish EMF fields.
- Sleep 7 to 9 hours in a pitch dark bedroom; kids too. Use herbs such as Passion Flower to help calm your brain and body. (You can use our Passion Flower during the day too to help keep your busy brain under control).
- Alcohol is pure carbohydrate and pure calories, makes you sleep badly, and keeps your blood sugar unstable.
- Whatever you cook, make more of it! Double up meats and veggies and freeze for later in the week.
- Get plenty of sun on exposed skin (but don’t burn). Or, take 2000 to 5000 units of Vitamin D3 with a meal, daily, for life. Have your Vitamin D levels tested annually and keep them between 55 and 75. ALWAYS take Vitamin K2 whenever you take D. Here’s one of several in the online store…
- Change your hair and skin care products to eliminate Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Parabens, Wheat, and Fragrances.